Strawberry Breakfast Rolls
Decided to make these for my youngest son’s birthday breakfast which we were celebrating early to spend it with my daughter. Alternately, also made for a great Mother’s Day breakfast! With this recipe kids can do various tasks from rolling out and pinching the crescent rolls together, chopping up strawberries (my 11 year old son did this), spreading strawberry jam, and so forth. You know your kids’ abilities and can choose tasks as appropriate.
2 tubes of crescent rolls
1 1/2 cups of finely shopped strawberries
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 pinches of granulated sugar
2 oz softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
1/2 tablespoon milk
(1) Roll out crescents on a lightly floured surface as rectangles and pinch the triangle seams together.
(2) Spread strawberry jam onto the each of the pastry rectangles.
(3) Place strawberries on top of the jam; not too much or you will not be able to roll, seal and the seams may split.
(4) Roll each pastry and cut into thirds.
(5) Place pinwheel cuts into greased baking pan; I used a circular ceramic pie dish.
(6) Brush the top of the pastry wheels with melted butter and sprinkle the sugar on top.
(7) Bake 15 minutes at 375° F or until golden brown.
(8) I used a hand mixer to blend the glaze ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl then quickly heated it for 15 seconds.
(9) Dollop and spread the glaze over the rolls.
This recipe would do well for blueberries, raspberries, peaches, plums and so forth. You can also omit a glaze altogether and opt for whipped cream or just leave as-is.