There isn’t a weekend that goes by that my kids don’t request chilaquiles!
10 Flour tortillas (10″ diameter) OR 10 Corn tortillas ~ depends on gluten, taste differences, etc. Your choice!
3 tablespoons butter (FYI this isn’t a healthy meal)
1/2 cup cooked ground sausage OR chorizo OR ground beef (I lean towards sausage or chorizo)
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers ~ substitute hot peppers in if you like!
1/2 cup cooked black beans (canned is great)
3 tablespoons Salsa Verde OR Red Enchilada Sauce OR Green Enchilada Sauce
* What’s in your pantry? Yep, this is dependent on what I have on hand.
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I like to use Mexican Blend but, cheddar is great too)
Seasonings to taste / add according to your taste buds: Cilantro, Black Pepper, Salt
* Yes, this is how I am getting around stating measurements
3 tablespoons sour cream (optional, I know a lot of people that do not like sour cream on hot food)
(1) Tear tortillas into 1″ x 1″ pieces, maximum 2″ x 2″, and place extra large skillet with butter. Cook until tortillas are browning, constantly stirring.
(2) I make a ring around the pan with the tortillas when they are cooked enough to start becoming hard.
(3) Place sausage, peppers, beans in the middle of the pan, stirring until peppers and beans are becoming soft and everything has been heated through.
(4) Pour your sauce (salsa verde or enchilada) and seasonings into the middle and mix it all together, evenly coating everything.
(5) Crack eggs into the center, pour cheese on top and mix into the sausage/pepper/bean mixture until eggs are cooked through and scrambled nicely.
(6) Smooth mixture around and, now comes the tricky part, take chunks of the tortilla apart to flip them over to crisp the other side making a nice crispy crust around the eggs.
(7) Place your dollops of sour cream around and everything simmer through.
(8) Make sure each plate or bowl gets some tortillas and egg mixture.
Alternative method is to make the egg dish separately and either use store bought tortilla chips to scoop and eat with or make your own crispy tortilla chips. I just like doing a one-pot dish for this personally hence, my twist.