I searched the pros and cons of various ingredients for dogs plus tested out various consistencies and found my personal favorite blend. My dog, Eva, drools when these come out of the oven. Save money and know you are giving your fur-baby some healthy and delicious treats. Yes, you too can eat them!
(1) 1 Large Egg
(2) 1/3 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
(3) 1/2 Cup Mushed Banana OR 1/2 Cup Pumpkin
(4) 1 Tablespoon Honey (can omit)
(5) 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
(6) 1/2 Cup Wheat Germ OR 1/2 Cup Ground Dry Oatmeal
(1) Mix all until ingredients are wet and blended with a metal spoon; the viscosity is very dry so I do recommend using a solid spoon. The size of treat you want to make depends on the size of your dog; I do 2″ long x 1/2″ diameter treats which I give her each evening prior to bedtime; roll a bit of the dough in your hands and squish the ends to make them blunt. I also do smaller dime sized treats for training purposes on walks and after baths, etc.; make a little ball, smash a bit flat, and voila.
(2) Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for roughly 30 minutes. The time it takes depends on the size of your treat but, no matter what, you need to bake them until almost all of the moisture has been baked out to make them hard and crunchy. Remember that if you are making the smaller dime-sized treats they really do not take very long to bake. Keep an eye on your oven.